Thursday, June 23, 2005

NBA Champs

Since I commented on the World Series and the Super Bowl, I suppose I ought to say something about the NBA championship. Don't expect any sort of analysis, though, because I only watched bits and pieces of some of the games, including tonight's. First of all, I'm glad the Spurs won, if only because their style of play is slightly less boring than Detroit's. Last year I rooted for Detroit to knock off the Lakers, but that was more about rooting against the Lakers (mainly Kobe Bryant -- I'm no Shaq fan, but I've got nothing against him). Overall, though, I hate the style of play in the Eastern Conference and didn't want to see Detroit win with it again. When I turned the game on tonight, it was almost down to the five-minute mark in the third quarter, and neither team had scored 50 points yet. I almost turned it off then and said neither team deserved to win. It got a little better, but not much. I became an NBA fan during the Sixties and Seventies, when the average scores were higher and the games much more entertaining. But that's sure not the trend now.

And why doesn't the NBA championship have a cool name like the World Series or the Super Bowl?

Oh, well, NFL training camps open in about a month. Something to look forward to.

No comments: