Monday, June 27, 2005

The Omnibus of Science Fiction

A few days ago, Bill Crider posted about this anthology from 1952, especially Ray Bradbury's story "Kaleidoscope". I didn't remember the story, so today when I was at the library and happened to see the book on the shelf, I checked it out, figuring I would reread the Bradbury story. Only when I started reading it, I realized I'd never read it before. Looking at the table of contents, I don't think I ever read this book, although I read other anthologies edited by Groff Conklin. And it's quite a line-up, too, over 500 pages of stories culled from the SF pulps of the Thirties and Forties and the digests of the Fifties. So now, even though I don't really have time to do so, I have to read this book. Luckily, I can shoehorn short stories in between all the research reading I have to do.

By the way, "Kaleidoscope" is a great story. I can see why it stuck in Bill's mind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you've never seen the anthology before, you should have a great time with it. Some of the stories haven't been reprinted a lot. Especially lately.