Friday, February 10, 2006

Sidetracked

I had planned to start working on a short story yesterday, but I postponed it for a day because I had to do some work outdoors and yesterday was the last day of nice weather for a while. Thought I'd better get the outdoor stuff done while I could. So this morning I sat down at the computer with a pretty good idea of what I wanted to write, pulled out the research books to check on a few details, and then realized that the story I had in mind just didn't work. Not even remotely historically possible. Now, I don't mind stretching the facts a little when I need to, but I think a story set in a widely recognized historical setting (World War I, in this case) should at least be feasible, even when it's a fantasy. So I've scrapped that plot idea and am now starting over, letting things percolate in my head for a few days.

But of course, since I couldn't waste the day, I started the next novel, a pseudonymous mountain man epic. I'll work on it until I get the short story figured out in my head, then take a little time off to write it. Also, an editor approached me today about the possibility of doing a new series, so I need to do some thinking about that and some research for it over the weekend. It gets a little confusing at times, but I actually like it when a lot is going on with the work.

And it's going to be cold all weekend (cold for Texas, at least), so what else do I have to do?

No comments: