Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Dawn of Time

It felt like that's how far back I was transported today when I opened the mail and found a copy of a small press magazine published in 1980 that contains one of my few published science fiction stories. A friend of mine came across it somewhere, thought I'd like to have it, and sent it to me. I'd have to go back and check the records, but it was probably something like the tenth or twelfth story I had published. I don't recall whether I got paid anything for it other than contributor's copies. And I can barely remember what the story is about. I'm sure if I sat down and read it, it would seem almost like reading someone else's work. I'm tempted to do just that. But somehow I'm a little leery. If it's really bad, I'll wince and be embarrassed. If it's better than what I'm writing now, I'll wince and be really embarrassed. Your basic no-win situation.

But it's nice to look at the story and remember the kid who wrote it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...which story, and which magazine? EMPIRE? UNEARTH would've paid, I think...

James Reasoner said...

The story was called "Season of Storms" and was about climate change. It appeared in the Summer 1980 issue of JUST PULP, a now long-defunct magazine that used stories from a variety of genres. Somewhere along in there I published a story called "Bugeyes" in the small press SF magazine SPACE AND TIME, but I don't recall which issue. I think SPACE AND TIME is still around.

Juri said...

If you decide to read them, it would nice to hear what you thought of them.

Anonymous said...

SPACE AND TIME is still with us, indeed...dimension of it is all around, to pun weakly and unoriginally...JUST PULP sounds faintly familiar...PULPSMITH and at least one other little magazine (PULP? which might've been another title form for JUST PULP) help confuse the memory at this distance...

http://www.cith.org/space&time.html