Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Departed


Proving once more that I'm out of step with popular culture, we watched this movie tonight -- which won the Academy Award for Best Picture a few weeks ago -- and I didn't like it much at all. I thought the performances were pretty good (although I have trouble taking Jack Nicholson seriously in anything anymore; he always just seems to me like he's doing a Jack Nicholson impression). I generally like movies with twisty, complex plots where nothing is what it seems. And I thought some of the scenes worked pretty well. But it sure didn't add up to much, and it was 'way too long and slow-moving for my taste. I'm not much of a Martin Scorsese fan, when it comes to that, but I liked his last couple of films, GANGS OF NEW YORK and THE AVIATOR, considerably more than I did THE DEPARTED.

5 comments:

Juri said...

I'll probably go see it tonight in a cinema club. I saw the Hongkong original a week ago, but it left me cold. There were good scenes throughout, though, and good music.

Juri said...

Nah, didn't make it - the kids went to sleep too late.

Cap'n Bob said...

I saw it a few days ago and thought it was godawful. How can a director win for a movies with such a senseless plot? Pfui!

Cap'n Bob said...

Take of the "s" at the end of "movies" in my previous post.

James Reasoner said...

We knew what you meant, Cap'n. And the more I think about THE DEPARTED, the more "godawful" sums it up. Some of the plot makes no sense at all.