Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The Big Showdown - Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins


I enjoyed the first book in this series, THE LEGEND OF CALEB YORK, which was Max Allan Collins' novelization of an unproduced movie script Mickey Spillane wrote for his friend John Wayne. I think the second book, THE BIG GUNDOWN, by Collins based on Spillane's characters, is even better.

Legendary gunfighter and former Wells Fargo detective Caleb York has been serving as the temporary sheriff in Trinidad, New Mexico Territory, but as the book opens he has turned over the job to an old friend of his and is about to leave for San Diego, where he's going to work for the Pinkertons. Unfortunately, a bank robbery occurs just before the stagecoach that will take York away from Trinidad arrives. This bloody crime keeps York from leaving and forces him to put on a badge again as he tries to find the bank robber who escaped and recover the stolen money.

Then there are a couple of murders, leading York to realize that more is going on than a simple bank holdup. On top of that, five gunfighting brothers who have a grudge against him are on their way to Trinidad to settle the score. And there may be more to that than there appears to be at first, too.

THE BIG SHOWDOWN is a really entertaining mixture of Western and crime novel. Caleb York is a good character, more flawed than the legend surrounding him might suggest but that just makes him human. His old geezer sidekick (I'm seeing him more as Al "Fuzzy" St. John rather than Gabby Hayes) is great, and the other supporting characters are interesting, too. As usual, Collins' fast-paced prose is smooth as can be. This is a fine traditional Western and I had a really good time reading it. There'll be at least one more book in the series, and I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Bruce Harris said...

Just finished it. I thought the ending (re: Willa Cullen and Zachary Gauge relationship) fizzled. Still, an excellent book and I look forward to third book in the series.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to dissent on this one. I am a great fan of Max Allan Collins but was disappointed by this effort. I found the plot to be leaning toward the juvenile. But, as noted, I really appreciate the work of Max Allan Collins and I liked the first Caleb York novel. I too am looking forward to the third Caleb York western. Maybe I was just in a fussy mood when I read "The Big Showdown." And, I really enjoyed the introduction.

Jim Meals