Monday, February 07, 2005

Gadget Man

No, I'm not talking about Click Rush. (But if that's the first thing you thought of when you read the title of this post, you really know your pulp characters.) I'm referring to myself, because I went out today and bought one of those little jump drives that attaches to your key ring. It holds 512 megs, which is, of course, much larger than the hard drive on the first computer we bought, lo those many years ago. I've always been paranoid about losing stuff that I've written due to computer problems, so I have back-up disks of back-up disks and always carry several around with me when I leave the house, so that I have copies of all my current and recent projects that I know will be at least as safe as I am. Now all that and more is stored on the little jump drive.

The only drawback is that Livia suggested I get rid of some of the multitude of keys that I've been carrying around for years. After she asked, "What does that key go to?" and I had to answer "I dunno", like Rudy on the original "Survivor", for about the sixth time, I had to admit she was right and it was time to put some of the keys in the drawer so that forty years from now one of our daughters -- or one of their kids -- can look in there and say, "I wonder what all those keys go to."

Anyway, I'm proud of my new toy. I showed it to the cat earlier, but he didn't seem impressed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you know about "Yahoo! Briefcase"? You can store your manuscripts on-line for free. One more way to keep a copy on file.