Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Medical Update

I went to get my eyes examined for new glasses today. Had to wait for six weeks after that retina surgery. When it comes to getting my eyes examined and getting new glasses on a regular basis, I've been a bad, bad boy. I've been wearing my current pair for at least fifteen years, more likely seventeen or eighteen. The optometrist told me that as a result of letting my vision deteriorate, I squint 'way too much, which has changed the shape of my eyes and made them even more likely to develop retinal problems. I knew that one way or another it had to be my fault.

Anyway, I have a new prescription for my glasses now, and I'm going to be working on not squinting as much. New glasses should be in next week sometime. I could have gone to one of those one-hour places and gotten them today, but I decided to go the slower, cheaper route. For one thing, I plan on finishing the book I'm working on this weekend, or early next week at the latest, and this way maybe I can adjust to the new glasses between books.

Meanwhile, my eyes have continued to improve slowly (probably because I've been limiting my screen time), and I'm hoping the new glasses will also help in the long run.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I thought western writers were required to squint. Or is that just western actors?

Livia J Washburn said...

All this time I just thought he was winking.

Carl V. Anderson said...

The world may just look all shiny and new after the arrival of the new specs!

Frank Denton said...

Take care of those eyes. With all the reading and writing you do, you need to be careful with them.