Saturday, November 24, 2007

Redhead -- Duane Swierczynski


Earlier this year I read and raved about Duane Swierczynski’s novel THE BLONDE, which is still one of the best books I’ve read this year. Well, THE BLONDE has just come out in trade paperback, and as a bonus the book includes a new novella entitled “Redhead”, which is a direct sequel to the novel.

Anybody who liked THE BLONDE certainly won’t be disappointed in “Redhead”. It features the same blend of near-non-stop action with great dialogue and black humor that made the novel so much fun. In “Redhead”, two of the main characters from THE BLONDE are on the run from a team of vicious assassins and a mysterious, sinister woman. The action bounces back and forth in time, a technique that allows Swierczynski to play a neat trick or two on the reader while still being very fair about it. All of it leads up to a very satisfying ending that leaves the reader (well, me, anyway) hoping there may be more sequels to come.

If you haven’t read THE BLONDE, I highly recommend buying the trade paperback so you’ll get “Redhead”, too. That’s a one-two punch I don’t think you’ll be able to beat. But if you have read THE BLONDE, Duane has very kindly made it possible for you to read “Redhead” without buying the new edition. Check out the details on his blog, which I also highly recommend.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm definetely going to look for this. Writing the author and title down now.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Jaes. I loved THE BLONDE and read THE REDHEAD today. Very great fun! Cannot wait for Duane's take on Moon Knight in the upcoming Moon Knight Annual