Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cross Plains

I rolled into Cross Plains a little before ten o’clock this morning for my almost-annual visit to the Howard Days get-together. I say almost annual because I missed last year, but now I have a new streak started. The day had already been productive for me, because on the drive down there I worked on the plot for a new project that I can actually talk about for a change, at least once all the details get nailed down. More on that later.

But today was mostly about visiting with old friends like Rusty Burke, Indiana Bill Cavalier (“the friendly REHupan” or “Black Indy the Bad Ass”, depending on whether or not you’re roused his ire), Mark Finn, Charles Gramlich, Dave H
ardy, Michael Scott Myers, Gary Romeo, Paul Herman, Chris Gruber, and Russell Andrew. The highlight of the morning was Mark Finn’s discussion of his REH biography BLOOD AND THUNDER, plus we were entertained by a reading of a new short story by Mark.

After adjourning to Jean’s Feed Barn for lunch, it was back to the pavilion at the Howard House for a panel all about Robert E. Howard in Pop Culture, moderated by Indy and featuring Rusty, Mark, and Dan Rosenfelt, a representative from Paradox Entertainment, the company that now controls all the Howard-related properties. Dan filled us in on the numerous Howard-related movie projects that are coming up, as well as the extremely popular and successful Age of Conan on-line roleplaying game. I also spent a considerable amount of time talking to authors
and Howard fans Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes. I spent less time actually inside the Howard House than I normally do, but of course I had to walk through and pause outside Bob’s room for a moment to reflect on all the great work that was done there.

Late in the afternoon most folks headed for the barbecue at Caddo Peaks, while I climbed in the car and headed home. It’s a two-hour drive, and I like to get home before dark. My name is James, and I’m a geezer.

All in all, I had a great time, as I always do in Cross Plains. I always come back feeling a little revitalized as a writer, too. We’ll see how that carries over when I sit down to do tomorrow’s pages.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Was good to talk with you, James. I hope you get those bookshelves soon.

Anonymous said...

James,
It was so nice to meet you and have the opportunity to talk with you. Looking forward to seeing you next year! Best wishes,
Angeline Hawkes

James Reasoner said...

Same here, guys. It was one of the best Howard Days lately because there was more time to just sit and talk to folks.